Make Way for Fresh Fruit and Vegetables!
Brighter Bites is a non-profit that delivers fresh fruits and vegetables directly into families’ hands, while teaching how to use and choose a different kind of fast food. There is a simple three-part formula:
- Fill the Plate (produce distribution)
- Educate (nutrition education)
- Make it Great (fun food experience)
The mission of Brighter Bites is to create communities of health through fresh food. They are a comprehensive, multi-component school, preschool, and after-school program. The program increases access to fresh fruits and vegetables, and nutrition education for obesity prevention among all children and their families. Their goal is to help curb the childhood obesity epidemic in Texas by increasing the demand for fresh fruits and vegetables, leading to improved family eating habits and ultimately improved health outcomes. Since its inception, Brighter Bites has expanded past its Texas borders into Southwest FLorida, Washington D.C. and finally into New York City. P.S.145 is extremely fortunate to have been nominated by Wellness in the SChools for a partnership with Brighter Bites because of our commitment to wellness and nutrition education over the past 6 years. There will be 16 food distribution days throughout the course of the year, 8 in the Winter and 8 in the Spring.
A long-term study showed that participating families:
- Consumed more fruit and vegetables
- Consumed fewer calories from added sugars
- Cooked at home 2 times as much
- Used nutrition facts labels to make purchasing decisions
- Ate more meals together as a family
- Had more fruits and vegetables available at home